Embrace.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

So for my first week, the word was embrace. I think I had some successes in this category and some shortcomings. I tried to go out of my way to hug people more than I normally do, but didn't do an incredible job at that. "The gentle pressure of a hug can stimulate nerve endings under the skin that send calming messages to the brain and slow the release of cortisol" So I figured everyone could use a little mid day destressor. The great thing about this is that every week, my words will come together. So though my week of "Embrace" is over, I will still actively consider "Embracing" while I'm "Engaging." This week, I also really embraced my emotions. When something inside me was telling me to act upon something, I did it. And in the moments where I did not, I quickly learned why I should have listened to the tugging voice in my head. This week I also cried, a lot. Heck Friday alone I cried a lot. With each each girl that came up to me and told me I was doing a great job or that she loved me or that I was a great leader or that she noticed my efforts, I couldn't help but get choked up. I was overwhelmed with emotions. 

One thing this upcoming week that I'm really looking forward to is She..., which is an all Greek female Bible study we are starting out this Wednesday! I have had the honor of having a meeting of minds (of the sort) with an alumnist named Emily. She is honestly so sweet and comforting and I think, hope, and pray that there is a lot in store for this group. 


One of many highlights this past week was a speaker by the name of Jim Ashworth that we got the pleasure of having come speak to my class. He taught us about NLP- Neuro Linguistic Programming, which basically means how our words affect what we think we are and how we act out in our everyday lives. It's an incredibly interesting thing to learn about and it was crazy how he came to speak to us about the power of our words! Just last Sunday, my mother bought me Joel Osteen's new book "I Declare" which focuses on positive affirmations to speak over your life. Some might say it was a coincidence, but I truthfully don't believe in coincidences any more. God has definitely planned out a life of prosperity for you and for me. When we start to see the links between things, those huge billboards in our heads telling us to take notice of something, we should open our eyes and see where that path takes us! This past week I can say that I've definitely been reading more into things and at the same time it's allowed me to be more aware, but at the same time, definitely more emotional. Honestly, just reading a few passages from the book has me teary eyed. I think with age I'm becoming more and more of an big sap, but I'm kind of enjoying it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment