Of food & family: Blue Mesa

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

So, for the longest time, I've been saying I was going to write food reviews, but never really got around to making it a reality... but this summer things have changed!

In Texas, meeting up with a loved one to catch a few bites of eat is pretty much the thing to do to catch up with one another. In addition, I've noticed in the past year, many people have to come me asking for good recommendations in the DFW area! So fortunately (yet not so fortunately for my piggy bank) I will have many hopefully delicious items to share with all of you, complete with reviews from myself and my foodie counterparts!

First, let's begin with Blue Mesa!

I took my cousins Nadia and her husband Jorge to Blue Mesa, because after visiting it with my best friends a month or so before, I thought it was a place these two artists would enjoy, not to mention I was craving their unique spin on dishes. They begin by serving each table with a mix of corn and sweet potato chips. I'm a huge sweet potato junkie, so this always excites me! Now, on to the dishes.

Nadia's meal: Avocado, Mango, & Jicama Salad with Grilled Rojo Shrimp
 Nadia gave her meal 4.5 stars. She said that it was what she expected and enjoyed it so she gave it 4.5 stars. 5 would be to exceed her expectation. She found it to be "fresh, sweet and tangy." She also enjoyed that the shrimp seemed to be "freshly grilled" and liked the mix of chopped up mango, jicama, and avocado in her salad.

Jorge's meal: Chicken Avocado Bacon Wrap with Caesar Salad
 Jorge gave his meal 3 out of 5 stars. Jorge is not a man of many words, but tells so much through his facial expressions. So when he told me it was "good," I had to get him to expand on what exactly was good. Thankfully, my cousin Nadia is a woman of many words (it runs in the family) and gave us some descriptors of the meal she didn't even try haha. Jorge enjoyed the filling of the wrap. He thought it was a good mix of ingredients and liked the "salty, crunchy bacon" and the avocado, which added something fresh to the wrap.  He found the salad to be a generously portioned size and enjoyed that though it was a Caesar salad, it had corn in it as well.
Nadia added to Jorge's review by noting that it had a "savory blast!"

***Once again, Nadia did not sample the wrap.***

My meal: Same wrap but with the Painted Desert Soup
 As mentioned, I ordered the same wrap as Jorge. I feel his review was fair. It was good, but not amazing. Instead of salad, however I ordered the Painted Desert Soup. I really enjoyed the mix of creamy and savory. I also really enjoy black beans and a hint of sweetness in my dishes, so this soup was great! I would give the soup alone, 4.2 stars. I don't even know if you can separate a star into 1/5th but I just did it. It was in a sense almost like a salsa or dip, but I enjoyed it none the less.

In my previous trip to Blue Mesa, I tried the Blue Corn Chile Relleno, which was delicious! It was the perfect mix of sweet and savory, with a bit of spice. I would have given it 5 stars and definitely recommend it to anyone who visits.

It was really nice having all of my family come for my graduation, and having Nadia and Jorge stay for an extra day. I hope they enjoyed the few extra spots we went to!

Nadia pondering if this image will be put on social media.
Nadia, becoming upset after realizing I post everything on social media.
A depiction of their love.
Perhaps a new profile picture for Nadia.
Nadia, looking mad, but really just thinking.
Jorge, just thinking.
Jorge, trying to copy Nadia's thinking face.. but he can't even do it without smiling! He's just too nice!
Until next time, loves!

2 comments:

  1. MORE FOOD REVIEWS!! Love this. I love reading reviews (and I'd like to call myself a super amateur foodie lolol), so this is perfect. Glad you stepped into this(;

    Everything looks really good. Must try this place out. And Nadia & Jorge are adorable together! She is one funny lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha don't worry, more and more food reviews are to come! I'll probably post another one tomorrow. You should do food reviews as well Esther!!!

      And yes, they are so cute. I love them <3

      Delete