Beauty.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

So here's another thought. After talking with one of my best friends today who wasn't feeling her best it really just got me thinking about this whole idea of beauty. And (as I often do) I just kept dwelling on the thought and the more I did, the more it began to upset me. The world has this incredibly skewed perception of beauty and though I've always known this, sometimes it hits me much harder than others. We shouldn't need make up or other people's verification to make us feel beautiful. We should just feel that way all the time regardless of any of that.

A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine suggested we go on some what of a make up fast? I don't know what you'd call it. But basically, we'd go 2 weeks to a month without make up. Now to me this sounded very hard as I've gotten used to dolling myself up pretty much everyday, so instead we decided we'd put a limit to how much makeup we could use. No more than 2 items and preferably only on special days (or when you have an especially large zit). Also no liquid foundation because it provides too much coverage and chapstick doesn't count as makeup. Haha. Before I was dreading this, but now I'm actually pretty excited about it.

I know that beauty is more than skin deep and we ALL have the misconception of associating goodness with beauty and what a downfall it is. I've decided that every day I don't wear make up, I'm going to go out of my way to do 3 acts of kindness and I'd encourage you to join me. Or maybe an even better thing to do would be to go out of your way to do an act of kindness for every item of make up you put on... That probably makes more sense. Regardless of how you choose to participate, I think there must be another way to get women in our society to feel beautiful about themselves. Especially because there doesn't seem to be anything that you can do or say to change a woman's mind. You can tell us we are beautiful, a guy can tell us we beautiful, we can put on 5 pounds of make up, but it isn't easy to make a girl truly feel that way about herself and there's never one sure-fire tactic. So, in honor of true beauty, I'm not dolling myself up at all today. And in addition to that, I'm going to go out of my way to do at least one good deed just for the heck of it.

If you plan on participating, leave a comment below and maybe we can hold each other accountable!

XOXO,
She

1 comment:

  1. Such an incredible post Kels. Im real proud of u! I am so fickle about make up and where I am comfortable not wearing it to. I have not worn make up out and just like running errands or going on a casual lunch or w/e... i have no problem wearing make up where I know the ppl will never see me again.... but when I go places (School, church, etc) frequently, where the ppl there have seen me with my best face many times and all of a sudden I come in with a bare face.... it's such a difference (not a bad one... but a difference) I'm afraid what ppl will say... or they will def notice and will tell me "Ohh ur not wearing make up" and then make it awkward... ehhh idk. I will have to do this one day.. I will not be a slave to make up.

    ReplyDelete